The bastion was built by the Venetian architect Giovanni Sammianelli between 1550-1559. With its triangular design it is one of the good examples of military architecture. In its vaulted chambers there are chimneys for gunpowder smoke to escape and for ventilation to take place. On its walls there are niches for gunpowder barrels and cannon balls. When commander Martinengo, the popular commander of the Venetian reinforcement troops to Cyprus, dies on the way, he is brought to Cyprus and his name is given to this bastion.