The Kyrenia Gate in the North is one of the three gates on the walls surrounding the old city of Nicosia. This gate was one of the most important entry-exit points of the city. It is also known as the "Del Providetore Gate" after the architecture Proveditore Francesco Barbaro. The Turks restored the gate in 1821, adding a domed room on top of it. On the panel above the gate there are verses from the Koran. The seal of Mahmut II was placed on the Northern front of the gate in 1820.
The cannons in front of the gate transferred by the British for the defence of Acre against Napoleon later fell to the hands of the Turks.