The library was constructed by the Ottoman Sultan Mahmut II in 1829. It is close to the eastern entrance of the Selimiye Mosque. The building consists of a large domed room and a domed and arched porch. Like the Arap Ahmet Mosque it is an example of classical Ottoman mosque and medrese (theological school) architecture. The library houses around 1700 books, among which is a handwritten Koran and some valuable books in Turkish, Arabic and Persian.